Devon Invasive Species Initiative (DISI)
A small steering group of interested partners is developing the new Devon Invasive Species Initiative (DISI) under the umbrella of the Devon LNP. The first meeting was held in November 2016.
The Devon Invasive Species Initiative is a GB Non-Native Species Secretariat Local Action Group (LAG), which ensures it is kept aware of national priorities and projects and given us access to expertise across the country and beyond.
DISI has five main areas of focus:
- Raising awareness of invasive species.
- Improving the sharing of records/mapping of invasive species across Devon.
- Sharing good practice guidelines.
- Sharing/promoting good biosecurity measures.
- Researching funding opportunities around invasive species.
Dates, agendas and minutes for/from DISI steering group meetings
Partners are in the process of developing a Priority Invasives List for Devon. If you have any comments on the draft list please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note, there will not be a separate Invasives Forum established. All communication will occur via the Devon LNP. Please contact Tom Whitlock if you would like to be added to the LNP Forum.
Sources of information
- Where do camels belong? Ken Thompson (essential reading)
- Search the GB Non-native Species Information Portal to find distribution data and other useful information for all non-native species within GB.
- For advice on chemical treatment of invasives by watercourses and the safe disposal of Knotweed material, please visit the Environment Agency webpages
- For information on Biosecurity measures which will help reduce the risk of introducing/spreading invasive non-native species, click here.
The Devon Japanese Knotweed Forum’s information pages have been moved to the LNP website and can be found at: Japanese Knotweed Homepage.
- Cornwall Knotweed Forum
- The Chinese Mitten Crab Project
- South West Red Squirrel Partnership
- CABI (Centre for Agriculture and Biosciences International)