Sustainable Seas – How we’re working to achieve our vision
“Devon’s world-class coast and marine environment is wisely used and provides a sustainable living for local fishing communities, a home for an impressive variety of wildlife, and an attraction to millions of visitors and residents.”
Key activities by Natural Devon
- The establishment of a Working Group which has produced a Devon Sustainable Seas Action Plan which was signed off by the LNP Board in April 2015.
- A multi-stakeholder Marine Strategy Workshop in September 2014 to agree objectives for the Sustainable Seas work and to identify priorities for early delivery
- Proposals for marine research submitted for possible MRes projects at Plymouth University.
Examples of delivery projects by our partners
- South marine plan stakeholder engagement workshops – July
- The Marine Management Organisation (MMO) held a series of South marine plan workshops in July 2014. The Devon workshop was in Exmouth on 18th July 2014. For updates see https://marinedevelopments.blog.gov.uk/
- Valuing Marine Ecosystem Services in the Western Channel (Valmer), an Interreg project (2012 – 2015) examining how improved marine ecosystem services assessment can support effective and informed marine management and planning. For information on the North Devon project, VALMER project.